Sunday, May 23, 2010

An Auteur for the New Century


Forget the notion that the new century of film is going to be defined by rattle-shot shaky-cam 3D aggression; perhaps it will be lead by a far more sensitive aesthetic striving for a better understanding of ourselves and the world by dazzling and challenging audiences. Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival for his new film Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. Weerasethakul (who has taken the first name Joe for the convenience of anyone who doesn't speak Thai) is just the director to lead the way into this new century. One of the most important directors from the last decade (with films like Blissfully Yours, Tropical Malady, and Syndromes and a Century), Weerasethakul may never receive wide popular success but the Palme is a step in the right direction. I can't wait to see this film.

(Until I dig myself out of various projects, you will probably see more pictures than words on my blog. As far as I'm concerned, the picture above may be one of the best of the year. It was taken by someone who deserves to get paid. It's a great photo. I'll take it down if someone gets mad.)

3 comments:

Ranylt Richildis said...

So great.

villainx said...

That's one thing I noticed about the various decade's best list, Weerasethakul probably had the highest concentration of films in the top 20, 10, and probably 5 among the various list makers.

So even if I only seen Syndromes, I'd say he won the first decade of the new movie making century. Luckily, new flick out might mean a retro of sort for the public at large to catch up with his filmography. Or so I'm hoping.

Kathie Smith said...

I agree! The more Weerasethakul the better! He was actually in town for a retrospective shortly after Tropical Malady was made and I had the opportunity not only to meet him, but to see all his films on the big screen. Really fantastic.