Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Gearing up for MSPIFF

Yes the time is here, and the 25th Minneapolis/St Paul International Film Festival did not fall into a black hole. Tonight kicks off the whole 10 day, 86 film extravaganza with Opening Night film Abderrahmane Sissako's Bamako and actor/executive producer Danny Glover scheduled (operative word) to appear at the Riverview Theater 7pm sharp. All the credit to Al Milgrom who probably did damn near everything himself for little or no compensation.

In a huge show of support for the beleaguered Film Fest, the local press is doing everything possible to promote the event, the films and the cause. I'm glad. Who knows, maybe the possibility of not having an international film festival in town has alarmed enough people to give it a much needed popular rebirth. Putting my chronically cynical attitude about the state of Twin Cities film aside, I have high hopes of attending at least 20 film that I know little or nothing about. Look for me at the films and my reports on this blog!

No comments: