Wednesday, April 16, 2008

THE STRANGERS

I saw this preview before Doomsday a couple of weeks ago, and it looked pretty good but I totally spaced on the name. I was convinced it was called The Visitors which only led me to that Thomas McCarthy film that opens at the Landmark in a couple week. Finally I saw an add for it on IMDB, so I was able to check out the trailer again. The Strangers seems like a substance before splatter kind of horror film starring Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman by first time director Bryan Bertino. There are a couple of scenes in the trailer that look seriously creepy. (Like when Liv is standing there and creepy masked person is in the doorway behind her, although she doesn't see them.)

But the thing that really caught my attention was the choice of music: as the trailer sets up the mood and things are starting to look scary, cue up Joanna Newsom! With the finale being tagged with the queen of scream Gillian Welch! I laughed out loud when the Joanna Newsom song come up on the trailer in the theater. Don't get me wrong, I love Newsom and Welch, it just struck me as kinda odd. But now after seeing the trailer for a second time, I've warmed up to the idea that their hybrid versions of alt-folk-country could be used to create an eerie ambiance.

We'll have to wait until the end of May to see if the movie lives up to the interesting trailer.

No comments: