Monday, July 28, 2008

Youssef Chahine R.I.P.

Youssef Chahine, on of Egypt's most well respected director's, died yesterday. Four weeks ago Chahine fell into a coma from a brain hemorrhage. I'm not even going to begin to think I can eulogize this man, simply because I know too little about him and have seen very few of his films (two to be exact.) So I will barrow what Nick Bradshaw from the Guardian said about Chahine: "He took on imperialism and fundamentalism alike, celebrated the liberty of body and soul, and offered himself warts and all as an emblem of his nation. Egypt's modern history is etched in his life's work."

His last film was Chaos which screened at the 2007 Venice Film Festival.

His US website has been put in state of memorial where people can post a message.

No comments: