Friday, August 15, 2008

Mark Pellington's HENRY POOLE IS HERE

Check out my capsule review of Henry Poole Is Here in the Star Tribune today.

Luke Wilson does the best he can with what is a pretty serious role for him. He never achieves the miserable drunk that the story wants him to be - he's as likable as any other character he has played, but just slightly more pained. The superficial nature of the film should be distasteful for Christians and non-Christians alike, pandering to an assumed ignorance about religion and faith.

Mark Pellington also has quite a career in music videos and concert videos. This is evident in the polished look of the film and in the interesting (although heavily used) soundtrack. Almost anything can look good if you slow it down a little bit and add a song.

Although I did not care for the film due to its preachy nature, I did not hate it nearly as much as I thought I would.

No comments: