Saturday, March 24, 2007

Minneapolis/St Paul International Film Festival website is up!

The website is up for the 2007 Minneapolis/St Paul International Film Festival scheduled April 19-29. It's pretty bare bones and only lists 15 films so far, but it's better than nothing. I don't mind eating a little crow (I'm sure it won't be the last time) for predicting MSPIFF doom only a few posts back. This early list is far from inspiring, but here are the highlights for me thus far:

Paprika - If nothing else, this film makes the fest for me. One would think Landmark would pick up this animation from Satoshi Kon. I wasn't too keen on Millennium Actress, or Tokyo Godfathers (both visually stunning, but narratively bland), but his amazing first feature Perfect Blue is a landmark, and his animation series Paranoia Agent is nothing short of brilliant.

Bamako - After reading an extensive article about Abderrahmane Sissako in CinemaScope 29, and having seen none of his films, I am very much looking forward to seeing this film. Danny Glover is scheduled to appear.

Waitress - This will no doubt have some sentimental value with Adrienne Shelly's untimely death last year, but that's okay by me. Her murder was nothing less than tragic; this was her directorial debut.

Bothersome Man - Okay, I really don't know anything about this film other than I received it a couple weeks ago from Film Movement. I haven't watched it yet. They usually make good choices.

The other films just say blah to me, but that doesn't mean I won't go to confirm that.

No comments: